Chasing a Dream

Chasing a Dream
John and I with our LP finishers medals

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 6-getting through the weekend

workout: 11 miles on the treadmill. I was supposed to do 14, but the the movie was over and the satellite had so much snow on it I was getting no signal...so I called it a day. That is a lot of miles to do inside.

nutrition:
bf: before run steel cut oatmeal/protein powder/blueberries/agave nectar/V8

out the door at 9:30 and not back until 2:30 so I took my bag of food with me which included--
almonds, apple, Larabar, banana

before 5pm Mass: energy bar (see below)

dinner: brown rice with roasted red pepper/green beans/broccoli leftover AND leftover tomato panzanella on romaine lettuce

after dinner treat: popcorn/no butter just seasoning salt which I suppose does not go against the cleanse, but felt like a 'cheat'

Went to the local health food store (Mustard Seed Market) mainly to get some ingredients for an energy bar recipe Michelle passed on to me. It made me really feel like a newbie in this whole Vegan world. Lots of products there that I have never heard of before. So this is all a learning process.

Made the bars and they are tasty. walnuts, coconut, blueberries, cocoa and cocoa nibs, agave, Maca powder, flax meal, flax seed and banana. They made a 9 by 13 pan and I only had one 2 by 2 or so. I will have them as the week proceeds. I am thinking they would have some caffeine in them, but will be 'overlooking' that.

I feel very good today. I have been sleeping quite well, which is usually an issue for me. As I finish this first week tomorrow, I am contemplating what I want to take away with me after these 21 days. For me, it comes down to what is the healthiest diet for me long term. What will help me be a better athlete in the short term, avoid disease and the aging process in the long term?

I do not want to feel deprived for the rest of my life, but I really don't think that pretzels, crackers, licorice ...etc... need to be a regular part of my diet for me to not feel deprived. There are so many great ways to prepare whole foods that are delicious!

So this is just the beginning!

one of these days I will take some time to jazz up this blog.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Woo Hoo!!!! You are doing great Barb! You might be very surprised when this is over - pretzels, licorice, crackers (there are super healthy crackers out there though - look for Dr. Kracker, Mary's Gone Crackers at Mustard Seed - crackers don't have to be bad!) - you won't feel deprived by not eating these any longer, because you honestly just won't want them anymore! Or, you'll say "what the hell" a few times a year, that'll make you feel good at that moment, and then you'll be fine going without for months again.